HAPPY EARTH DAY!!
I know, I know. It’s been forever since I posted a recipe. In my defense, we had a lot going on. The last year has been the busiest, and best, ever. We were involved in a not-so-fun lawsuit (are they ever fun?); planned and executed an incredible destination wedding for our daughter and now son-in-law; put our CA home of 14 years on the market and sold it; purchased our forever home on Maui; packed up and/or purged many years of memories and other junk; moved to Maui!! So, while it’s all great as you can see, my head wasn’t really in the game for posting recipes, even though creating recipes and cooking is always a regular thing for me.
This particular recipe is one I came up with as a way to use a huge bag of broccoli I had gotten at Costco. It turned out great. I’ve made it a few times since and it really is yummy – the family loves it. It’s easy too. As with most healthy, plant-based dishes, there is prep and chopping involved but once that’s taken care of, the rest is a cinch.
And remember, while Earth Day is a great way to commemorate our amazing planet, we need to do it EVERY DAY! Do your best, every day, to avoid animal products (nothing damages the planet more than livestock production and over-fishing), minimize use of single-use products that pollute our oceans and harm sea life, use less electricity, walk or bike instead of driving, consider a hybrid or electric car, pay close attention to water usage and avoid using chemicals in your home. YOU GOT THIS!
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 med-large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 5-6 cups broccoli chopped bite-size
- 8 cups veg broth or water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS arrowroot or other thickener
- Put cashews and non-dairy milk in blender and let them sit while you prep veggies and get the soup going.
- Saute onion in large soup pot until soft; add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and broth to soup pot; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes; add broccoli to pot and simmer until just tender.
- Meanwhile, to the blender, add the remaining ingredients along with 4 cups of the hot soup. Process until smooth and pour back into soup pot.
- Simmer soup until thick and warmed through, stirring often. Serve with a salad and yummy garlic bread! 🙂