In honor of National Oatmeal Day on 10/29/16 (tell me about it; they have a day for everything), I wanted to share this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal. I love it! The texture sort of reminds me of firm bread pudding. Better yet, it has no dairy, eggs, oil, gluten and is sweetened only with fruit! It’s really easy to make and great to serve for a brunch, your own breakfast or I often eat it as a snack. I like to eat it cold with a little soy milk poured on top, but it’s also really good warm. It’s mildly sweet so a little maple syrup drizzle wouldn’t be the worst idea. 🙂 One quarter of the pan is officially a serving but when eating it as a snack I generally slice up an eighth of the pan.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats use certified gluten-free if necessary
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 10 pitted deglet noor dates
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 TBS flaxseeds see Notes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375. Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a blender combine and process non-dairy milk, dates, applesauce, flaxseeds and vanilla.
- Add apples, raisins and wet mixture to oats and stir until well combined.
- Pour into prepared 8x8 pan and bake 40 minutes.
- Serve with non-dairy milk, if desired.
If you aren't using a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix, you'll need to grind your flaxseeds (coffee grinders are great for this), or use pre-ground from the store, before adding to the blender with the other ingredients.