Unlike traditional Sloppy Joes which are made with ground beef, these Josephines are made with either crumbled tofu, chickpeas or tempeh. Either is delicious!
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 8 oz tempeh or firm tofu (or 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained) crumbled, mashed or finely chopped
- 2 TBS tamari or other low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp chili paste
- 1/8-1/4 tsp liquid smoke optional
- 4 whole grain buns
- If using tempeh, steam it for 20 minutes. This helps mellow out any bitterness.
- Saute onion in dry skillet, adding small amounts of water to unstick. Cook until soft and opaque.
- Add remainder of ingredients to skillet along with crumbled tofu, tempeh or chickpeas and cook 10-15 minutes. Scoop onto warm whole grain buns.
Share this Recipe