Sweetened with fruit, the whole fruit, and nothing but the fruit, so help me God! These oatmeal cookies almost shouldn’t be called cookies because they are good for you! The sweetness in these babies comes from banana, applesauce and date paste, as well as raisins and, as a treat, a few chocolate chips. Of course if you add chocolate chips, that changes things, but the heart of the cookie will still be super healthy. Be aware these are only slightly sweet. They are perfect for our family as our palettes have adjusted to less sugar/sweets (which can happen for everyone – just takes patience!). If you aren’t there yet, you may want to add more raisins and/or chocolate chips, or more date paste.
**Date paste is made by soaking whole, pitted dates until soft and much of the water is absorbed, and pureeing in food processor or blender until smooth. Here’s how: 1) Soak 1/2 lb dates with 1/2 cup water several hours, until much of the water is absorbed. 2) Use food processor or blender to create a creamy, smooth paste. Store in freezer (it doesn’t get hard!) and use in baked goods such as this one, as a fruit spread etc. Chef AJ has many recipes using dates in her great book Unprocessed.
* gluten-free as long as certified gluten-free oats and flour are used.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups flour whole wheat pastry, gluten free blend, oat, etc.
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup date paste ** see in text above
- 1 mashed banana
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2-1 cup raisins or cranberries
- 1/4-1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl whisk together oats, oat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl combine date paste, mashed banana, applesauce, peanut butter, vanilla and non-dairy milk. Stir until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir. Fold in dried fruit and chocolate chips, if using.
- Place on parchment covered cookie sheet and flatten using moistened fingers or the back of a spatula. Bake 13-15 minutes. Place on cooking rack immediately.